Monday, August 22, 2016

"Roughing It" for LOAD Mini Summer Lovin' and Stuck?! Sketches

Well, I think this is it for my first LOAD (LayOut A Day, for those unfamiliar with the term). Unfortunately, I was not able to do a page for all seven days/prompts, but I did manage to do four, and for me, that is something of a record!

I looooove how this one turned out, not gonna lie! I used up some newer supplies, including some papers from the Pink Paislee "C'est La Vie" 6x6 pad, which normally I don't think I would have thought of using with camping/fishing photos. I mean, look at all that mint green, pink and yellow! Does that scream "outdoors" to you?  But, with black and white photos, you can kind of do whatever you want as far as background colours, right?

I used this great sketch from Stuck?! Sketches and flipped it 90 degrees:
I used the packaging technique with some Cracked Pistachio Distress Spray over some gesso, and that gave me a nice minty green watercolour effect for my background.  Then it was just a matter of figuring out which paper scraps to layer and cut up in behind the photos. 

These photos are from when we were first married, 17 years ago. Oh my gosh, I cannot believe how young we look!!! The prompt for LOAD day 5 was "Lovin' the great outdoors", and if I'm being honest, I don't really love the great outdoors. But Jason does, and he's dragged me out enough that it was easy to find outdoorsy photos. Before you know it, a layout is born!

Here's a close up of the journaling: 
And because this was such a long story, here's the other piece of journaling on the other side:
And one final close up of the die cut title and accent pieces:

I made this layout while listening to and watching the last ever Tragically Hip concert, which was broadcast to all of Canada on Saturday night. For all you non-Canucks out there, Gord Downie, the lead singer of the Tragically Hip, is dying of brain cancer. Their music is very well known here, and the concert was very emotional. Even our Prime Minister was in attendance! Jason and I had the concert streaming on Ailis's little tablet, and the bluetooth going through our stereo, and we had a great time rocking out, just the two of us. Kids probably thought we were a bit weird, but whatever! 

Anyway, that's it from me for today. Maybe now that I've completed four summer layouts in a week, I'll be motivated to continue my streak! Stay tuned to find out!  



5 comments:

  1. Love the color scheme! Thanks for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great colors! I love how you rotated the sketch to work with your photos. Thanks for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love tis, the separate layers behind each photo look so great! Thank you for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous layout! LOVE how much journaling you included! (I wish I could do that!) Thanks for playing along with us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your take on the sketch! It's so much fun to see how others use it! The black & white photos are awesome! thanks for sharing with us at Stuck?! Sketches

    ReplyDelete