Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Review Time!

So although I haven't done anything arty these past few weeks, I have managed to read quite a bit. Thought I would share my thoughts on some of my more recent reads:







Has anyone else read this yet? What did you think of it? I got Jason to pick it up for me because I kept seeing the cover everywhere (and you know I always judge a book by its cover!) and read reviews and it seemed like a good read. I started it, then put it aside for a bit, and I just finished it (and it just so happens to be my book club's choice for April/May). It was pretty good, I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars. If you're looking for a mature read, with some suspense and a topic that will pull at your "mom" heartstrings, you should definitely check it out. On the downside, it's told from the point of view of a 5 year-old, and I found the language rather irritating. If you can get past that, though, it's a book that will keep you thinking about it long after you've finished reading it.


One of the books I put "ROOM" aside for was this one:

I almost didn't read this book because of the main character's name, Katniss. It just sounds too much like "Cat Piss" for my liking, and I didn't think I could get past that. It's also a young adult book, and I don't like to think of myself as "juvenile", but I'd heard good things so I decided to give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised! It's non-stop action and excitement, and because it's told in the first person, her name is hardly ever mentioned! I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next two in the series, and when I saw them on the shelf at the library, I snapped them up right away (and put down "Room" again) and finished them in a week or so.


"Catching Fire" is next in the trilogy, and it is just as fast-paced and thrilling as the first.



Then comes the final installment, "Mockingjay". A bit of a disappointment for me, but still good. It's just a bit slower than the first two. Anyway, there will be a "Hunger Games" movie, and I can't wait to see it in theatres! Should give "Twilight" a run for its money!


Right now I'm reading this:


Pretty creepy looking, eh? I'm not sure if I'm totally into the paranormal genre, but I am enjoying this book for the moment. It's a real whodunnit, with fast pacing and a lot of suspense. I'll let you know if it's a winner!

3 comments:

  1. I'll add some of those to my reading list for the summer while I'm sitting on the beach (: I have already heard raving reviews about the room so I was thinking I would pick it up soon. Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I have to say I hated Room! I had finished reading Still Missing by Chevy Stevens and it was just so much better!!!! I hated the mom, the language of the 5 year old was hard to get through and the second half of the book seemed rushed and unfocused. Read Still Missing and you will see why I had problems!!!

    Have you ever read Kelley Armstrong before? Her first book is Bitten and I have been hooked ever since! She is my all time favorite author!

    My husband and I have a book forum going at www.chaptergeek.com you should come talk books with us over there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roxy!One of my fav subjects BOOKS! The room is not really a great book - you should have tried Still Missing by Chevy Stevens! (Great Book). I have yet to do the Hunger games trilogy even though they are sitting on my book shelf. And last but not least Waking the witch by Kelly Armstrong! My fav Canadian Author! I hope you have read the whole series, it is so good! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete