Friday, January 28, 2011

2011 Layout Challenge #6

I don't know, you guys, this one's a little out there, even for me! I was inspired to create it first of all by the collage at NVS. It is very pale, with a B&W focal photo, some pops of colour, and the title "New Perspective". So that got the gears turning, and I came up with the idea for the photo and basic layout. Then at Candy Shoppe Designs, one of their challenges this month calls for an all-white layout. Whoah, I know I've never done all white! I don't think I would have even considered it! Then Twisted Sketches had a beautiful sketch with the twist "white", which I missed the deadline for, of course (you hush, Jenn!) I used some white mulberry paper, ruffled up some ribbon using my trusty sewing machine and a basting stitch, some corrugated cardboard painted white, and an old library card (I didn't steal it, honest! It must've fallen out of a book!) The butterflies are cut from some clothing tags I hoarded for years, and the hearts are hand drawn and cut from the same mulberry paper misted with Glimmer Mist. I also had to mist up the background cardstock, I just couldn't stand to have it so white!

Now the journaling was even trickier. I was going to get all philosophical on my battles with depression, but I have a hard time talking about that, and I guess I'm not ready to lay it all out there on a scrapbook page. Maybe one day I will open up in an art journal, which is something I've been thinking about starting (if anyone else is interested in doing this, I found a cool site called A Year in the Life of an Art Journal). Or maybe not. It's a mystery right now! I ended up just writing:

"Is the glass half full, or half empty? Usually, it depends on my mood. But this year, 2011, I need a new perspective. This year, I'm only going to focus on whether or not the glass has baked on crud from the dishwasher!"

Yep, for now I'm keeping it lighthearted! Hope everyone has a great weekend! Hugs, Roxy!

Supplies: CTMH White Daisy cardstock, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, Creative Memories pens, DecoArt paint, unknown mulberry paper and ribbon, salvaged clothing tags and library card

8 comments:

  1. Love it Roxy! You rocked the all white as if you'd been doing it all your life! but my favourite thing is the journalling. I'm with you on this one! Focus on the crud, not the fullness or emptiness of the glass!! As one who battles depression/depressive thinking myself I think this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you rocked it Roxy, I love the white layout and well the photo is perfect, how courageous you are doing this hard subject to scrap, I am also a battler with this awful condition, and your positive outlook for 2011 sounds like a great idea. You are not alone dear friend. Melxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful layout Roxy! Your journalling is fantastic, it's a great outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love it! I don't thinks it's way out there....it's beautiful! I think I would have had to mist that white background too....just a little hint of colour.

    Your posts are always so upbeat, funny, amusing, full of life - that it surprised me to learn that you suffer with depression. I think it's great to open up about it though....so many people are going through the same thing....it's nice to know you're not alone I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not saying a thing!!! I did laugh though (: You are too funny!
    I think it is a really cool layout!! I love how it turned out!! The ribbon looks amazing, and the way you put random things (library card and butterflies...) together and make it look so good, blows me away!!!
    We had the same problem with baked on crud from the dishwasher so when it puked we decided to make the lazy boy (AKA Codie) do the dishes (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a good attitude to have...I'm not sure I could be so brave as to pick one or the other. am glad u were challenged with our White on White Challenge at CSD!! I think it came out great!

    KitKat (Candy Shoppe Team Sugar)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your white layout Roxy! I have never been brave enough to try it myself! Love the half full/half empty dilemma theme and photo, you are very brave to open up like that.

    Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

    Hugs - Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, LOVE to you, Rox. this is a great page, and thanks for allowing us a personal look at you... it's beautiful and positive, and i'm THRILLED that you joined us Nerdy Girls at Envious this month! MWAH. xo

    ReplyDelete