Thursday, December 30, 2010

December Daily Day 22 - Best and Worst Christmas Ornaments

This page is about our all-time favorite ornament! Nolan made it in pre-school when he was 3 years old, and we are always very careful to wrap it in tissue and place it in its own box when we take down the tree. The little poem on the tag says:
"These aren't just 5 snowmen as anyone can see
I made them with my hand which is a part of me.
Now each year when you trim the tree you'll look back and recall
Christmas of 2005 when my hand was just this small!"
Too cute, eh?

One thing I did at the start of 2010 was read a couple of books on organizing and decluttering. I think I was in nesting mode at the time. Anyhow, I did manage to get a few things straightened out around here, and I really changed my way of thinking about "things". The experts say this all the time: if you don't use it or love it, get rid of it! This is a hard thing to do if you're a bit of a pack rat! This mindset stayed with me all year, though, and when I was unpacking ornaments, I thought, "Man, we have a bunch of JUNK!" Including this:
Is this not THE butt-ugliest (pun totally intended!) thing you've ever seen??? I said to the hubby, "I know this is an ornament from your childhood, but it's really ugly. Do you mind if I maybe just get rid of it?" He said, "What the *bleep* is that? It looks like a *bleep bleep*!" Oh we were laughing so hard!!! After I threw it out, I thought it might make a funny December Daily story, so I dug it out of the garbage (luckily it wasn't totally full of gross stuff yet!) and took some photos of it. Only a scrapbooker would ever do such a thing! Then, since Jason's always playing jokes on me, I thought it might be funny to place this in the medicine cabinet, right on top of his can of shaving cream! He, in turn, placed it on my December Daily album, then I put it in his pillowcase, etc. etc. I'm not sure where it ended up, but if it does turn up, I am going to keep it for next year and start a new tradition!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is my favourite page so far! I love things that my kids made me when they were little, and Nolan's ornament is lovely.

    I think I need to read those decluttering books ...(!)

    I laughed so hard about that ugly little doll! My husband and I do a similar hiding thing with a little orange bean bag thingy - he has found it in his briefcase at work amongst other places and I have found it wrapped in clingfilm in with the teabags!!!

    Tell Ailis that the Queen is very well thank you, and very much looking forward to William's wedding next year (as am I!)

    If you would like the recipe for my Christmas Pudding, even if only to look at and think how mad us English are, let me know! It is basically a dried fruit steamed pudding that we serve with brandy butter and cream. Mine is a lot lighter than some which are almost black in colour.

    I'm hoping to catch up again with my journal over the next couple of days (but might be a bit "delicate" again tomorrow!)

    Happy New Year Roxy!!!

    Carole x

    ReplyDelete